Thursday, July 8, 2010

Leavin on a Jet Plane :)


"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page. "

Snt Augustine



I am so very very excited! My plans got finalized today to inshallah travel to Kuwait this Saturday :)


My in laws live there, so I am going to spend some quality family time with them and one of my sister in laws. I love the country and have had many great stays there. The shopping is great, the restaurants are really yummy, and I love being near the sea. My in laws are the most loving and wonderful people you could imagine, and I love spending time with them.


Another great thing about Kuwait is that it is of course a country that caters to Muslims, so there are all kinds of women only amenities. Gyms, water parks, salons and so on. And as an added extra bonus, even the malls have little prayer areas for shoppers to hop into if prayer time arrives as they are shopping. I have wanted to go to a gym for such a long time, and to go swimming!


The only downside to all of this is that currently the weather there is between 115-119 degrees Fahrenheit!! That is HOTTTT ! Not that it’s very cold down here in Texas, but it’s defiantly not that hot. But it’s worth it so I won’t complain.

I love travelling! Anywhere will do. I just love being in motion and heading to a new place. I always get such an uplifting rush to just be in new surroundings. I love interacting with different people and getting to know more about their countries foods and customs. Alhamdulillah I have had the opportunity to travel quite a bit, but it is never enough and there are still so many places I’d love to visit, Inshallah.


One of the things I love about travel is airports. I know it sounds strange, but I actually don’t mind layovers that much. In fact I enjoy the time to roam around the airports and watch the other travelers as they make their way.

When you find yourself sitting at an airport, any airport in the world, cast a gaze around and you will see joy & pain, ecstasy & agony, affliction & absolution unfolding within the unrelenting aura of arrivals & departures.

Where else can two people be experiencing love's immense ecstasy ten feet from two others experiencing love's crushing agony? The airport is one of the great paradoxical locations on this planet.

Imagine the number of love's transactions that occur on any given day at any given airport in any given city; it must be staggering. And think of all of the chapters of all love's novellas that are written within the boundaries of airports. Private and personal love stories, some more amazing than anything ever conceived in any Hollywood studio.

Imagine all of the different people, each with a different story, heading to different places, yet at a brief moment in time all find themselves under one roof. The hellos, the goodbyes, the happiness and sadness. And all of that is unfolding on a constant basis in these great intersection points of people’s paths.

Amazing really! I love being a traveler; I love being in airports and just observing all the people around me. Watching how they interact, and sometimes filling in their stories with my own imagination. I imagine where they came from and where they might be going, who they have left behind and who they will meet.

Travelling makes the world appear a smaller place and all of us people as more alike than not. You see that at the basis of it all, we all pretty much want the same things, feel the same emotions, and go thru similar trials. Yet when travelling you also get a chance to see firsthand the beautiful differences that also exist and make us all quite special. ..


Cant wait….



(I'll be posting from tere too and I'll be sure to post interesting pics! )


Salaam all :)

8 comments:

aneebaba said...

As salaamu alaikum Sis! Wow, sounds like fun. Though I can't say I share your view on airports - though I do like to see what differet airports look like, but since the last few years the traveling has just been to and from the same places - and for education, not vacation, it's hard to feel as you do at this point in my recent life. Insha'allah, when I get a chance at a vacation (honeymoon? insha'allah, insha'allah! hehehehe *blush*).

Anyways, enjoy and it's great to hear that the in-laws are so wonderuful, that's the 2nd story that I've heard where there is a great relationship between the husband's parents and daughter-in-law.

Wishing you a safe trip - have a great time!


PS It's 100 F here in Portland today - staying home for sure!

Layla said...

Thanks Brother :))

I guess you have had a bit too much travel in a short period of time, sounds like u r a bit burned out :)) I can see why it doesnt excite you as much :)) And ya u r right it is different when it is for a vacation!

Inshallah soon you will be going on that honeymoon! May Allah bless you with a wonderful wife!!!

:))

aneebaba said...

Well, the last few years (5 years to be exact), it's just been back and forth from here at home to Prague via Frankfurt (really bad airport, though I know it's one of the busiest, but the layout, blah! hehe) and now, due to Lufthansa cancelling a flight, this last time (end of last month) mum and I came via Amsterdam. The latter is a smaller airport, but they had an annoying security check+interview right at the gate. We are thinking of going back to Lufthansa when I come back here for the winter holidays, even though that means one more small domestic flight. We'll see.

Aww, thanks and insha'allah. Hoping it will occur in the next 1.5 years, if things go as planned, but of course, if it matches Allah's Plan.

Once again, have a wonderful time and if you are able/as you said, looking forward to hearing what you have to share with us.

Again, safe trip!

CATGIRL !! said...

thank u for following xenia..lovve ur name soo much..what does it mean? and where r the travel pics??

CATGIRL !! said...

oh sorry dear.. i opened 2 blogs at same time..n thought u were xenia..but all the same i m waiting for ur travel pics now!!

Mystery said...

YOU ARE ONE LUCKY GIRL.

It's like one of my dreams to go there someday. Have fun!

Shahirah Elaiza said...

Salam =) So glad I found someone who feels the same I do about travelling and airports (well most of them at least). But I have to say, security screenings annoy me especially when I have my laptop with me cos I have to keep removing it from the bag, and when I have a heavy hand luggage with me which I have to carry and place on the conveyor belt =S

Hope you have are having an awesome trip! I really enjoy the way you write and hope to read more from you soon inshaAllah.

Layla said...

salaams girls, so sorry I am replying so late! Didnt have net in Kuwait. Thank u all for stopping by! Inshallah I should be back to blogging once ramadan is over! :)